Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Lion of the Senate


I would assume all of you know by now know that Senator Edward Kennedy has passed away. There are of course hundreds of articles and posting of it everywhere on the internet and news coverage on tv and radio. I am sure if any newspaper is left in the coming days it will have at least one major headline about the funeral. Next week magazines like Time and Newsweek will have his face on the cover.

When I was growing up I could not understand older generations fascination with the Kennedy family. After all they were just one family and they were just politicians. Well some were in late high school and college I found myself becoming more and more interested in politics and as of about two years ago the Kennedy family itself.

I think the thing that strikes me the most about the family is how much it has given to this country. A son who was killed in the war, a son who was a president, a son who was killed in California, a daughter who inspired a sister to take up the cause of people with support needs, a daughter who founded the Special Olympics, a daughter who was an Ambassador and now the last son, a Senator.

Regardless of what side of the aisle a person may sit on there is no doubt that Senator Kennedy had an amazing career as a public servant. He has been credited as a major in player in all of the following:

Civil Rights Act of 1964
Voting Rights Act of 1965
Americans with Disabilities Act in 1990
Family and Medical Leave Act in 1993


Thank you Senator for all that you did for our country, may you rest in peace sir.

4 comments:

Maggie Moore said...

What a great idea and format for a post :)

Seth said...

Since your interest in the Kennedy family has developed, you might find this Wall Street Journal article from January of interest, too:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123086375678148323.html#printMode

Anonymous said...

It happens that I admire some of the Kennedy members, deeds, etc. but that does not mean one has to believe in abortion rights, too! How are the sprouts & outdoor growing goodies?

Molly Mc said...

Thanks, Miller.