Saturday, April 10, 2010

On Your Marks, Get Set, Oh Shit

So today, Saturday, April 10th, is a good day. Why you might ask? The question is rhetorical, I will answer it for you.

1) I got on the scale today and for the first time since 2003ish I weighed in under 200 pounds. That is right folk I was a slim and trim (with two love handles that you could crab hold tight enough to ride a bull on) 199lb.

2) I then:
  • swam 1/4 mile: 1 lap around a track
  • biked 10 miles: 40 laps
  • ran a 5k: 12 1/2 laps (well what I call running, similar to a brisk walk for most)
I did all of this is 1 hour 30 min and 21 seconds. Why did I do this? Again, the question is rhetorical, I will answer it for you. I did this because next Sunday, April 18, I am doing those same distances in a Sprint Triathlon in Carmel, Indiana.

Why the hell would I do that and who took over Andy's body? Two valid questions. There are several reasons:
  1. About 5 months ago I had a health screening and almost all levels of health that they measured were in the yellow or red.
  2. Several people around me workout a lot and eat healthy, so I had support.
  3. I have been told a slimmer man is a bit more attractive (true it is what is on the inside that counts but for me that was arteries that were slowly closing and fat deposits building).
  4. The Miller family gene pool tends to favor diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure and double chins. I grew a beard for the chin thing.
  5. Health Care is getting more and more expensive. If every American lost 5 pounds and moved their nutrition plan 5% closer to what it should look like, can you imagine how much money would be saved and how much healthier we would be.
  6. I also realized that I am not in college any more. What I eat and how I take care of my body does matter.
  7. Last but by no means least... I look hot in a pair of jammers... ok not really.
3) Now after burning what I am guessing was close to 800 calories and realizing that I am so close to accomplishing the goals I set back in the Advent (Catholic New Year) that it was time to have a mini celebration. So what did I do? Only one of the most amazing things ever. Something that truly proves God loves us. Something that melts all the cares and pains right off the body like a butter cow left in the sun (go to the Iowa State Fair). That is right, I had a beer shower. For those of you that don't know what a beer shower is, I truly feel sorry for you. It is not showering in beer, but rather taking a shower while drinking a beer. It is even better if there is a large green plastic lawn chair to sit down in while you are in the shower, but I have a small shower. O, that moment when the water hits the back of your head and your spin tingles. If you time it just right your mouth tingles with the cold beer at the same time and a little piece of heaven comes out of the faucet (that is not actually church doctrine, but it should be... I'm looking at you Benedict).

4) What could top a day like this off? Well I am on my way to get the Scooter out for the summer. The time has come and I am ready.

5) After a Scooter ride I then get to go to Mass. Nothing like some Grace from God to top off the day. Then home to bed at around 6:00 because man am I tired!!

Keep up the fight

2 comments:

Seth said...

Two of the Lord's greatest gifts: beer in the shower and beards to cover our many chins.

What was I thinking shaving my face?

AJ said...

Good for you Miller!!! And please keep documenting experiences and reasons because it brings a good 5 minutes of laughter to an otherwise boring work day. I've got to trim back down after chemo (put on an added 15 and already had at least 5-10 to lose). We could race to an end goal if you want :)