Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Transportation & Retirement

So I have been spending a bit of time this morning looking up different forms of transportation. Electric cars, electric bikes, hybrid technologies, and walking shoes. Why would I do this? Well it is true that I am a bit of a green guy, but really it is because I found out that my car repair bill will be about $1100.

At first I was upset then I came to the following conclusion: It is for the best, let me walk you how I can to this conclusion.

1) This 1100 is basically money that was going to go into my Roth for retirement but now it is not.
2) I will have less money for retirement.
3) I will just work longer. Let's be honest, I am never going to see any social security. So the whole magic number of ?65? does not matter anyways.
4) Both McCain and Obama wrote in TIME a few weeks ago about the need to volunteer in our community. There is a growing number of over 65ers who are volunteering.
5) When you volunteer they take care of all your room and board. (I know I did for 2 years)
6) So having less money to retire means that when I am done working I can volunteer and get room and board paid for, so I won't need as much money in retirement anyways.
7) I will probably marry a rich elementary school teacher so none of this will matter anyways.

Now listen you naddering nabobs of negativity my logiac may be a bit flawed, but you have to draw the Maginot line in the sand somewhere.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Andy...What a great way to think, for a guy like you!! Uno can come live you to keep you happy in your golden years!!

auntiec said...

Sorry to hear about your car problems but thought you had a creative, positive outlook on the situation.

Aunt Carolyn, alias, auntiec