Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Prayer, Fasting and Alms Giving

In lue of several readers inquiring what I will be doing for Lent, I decide to just post it on my blog like I do with all other things in my life so I don't have to answer the question several times. After all I am all about working smarter not harder.

I am committing myself to praying more intentionally for people. I often times pray in broad general terms for people, but I want to start being more specific. I also am trying to incorporate more thanksgiving into my prayers. I think often times the realist in my tends to learn more to the pessimist side rather then the optimist side.

I am going to give up most meat for a Lenten fast. Not all meat 100% in the strict way that a vegetarian does. For example if Ruth makes baked potato soup and it has bacon bits in it for flavoring, then I am going to eat it. If I am at the WOW and we are having hamburgers for super, I am going to eat it. If I am invited over to super at a friends house and they are having a roast I am going to eat it. Being a vegetarian is such a luxury I don't want to put anyone out because of something i am doing personally. Not that I am concerned that I will offend anyone but I do still think that we are living in a culture where meat is offered in a meal with some pride. Meaning I think for some families to be able to offer meat to a guest is a bit of a hardship and I don't want to be an ungrateful guest.
I don't think Christ would want us to put others out in our Lenten fasting... it seems to a bit of an oxymoron.
As for alms giving I plan to seek out a local organisation that has been hit particularly hard lately and contribute to them.

I also have one request from you. Yes you the reader of "A Cage of Words." Please help me with my Lenten goals. I know that by myself I will not be able to achieve them all. I will need prayers and support to help hold me accountable. In return I offer my prayers and support as well.

Keep up the fight

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does me helping you with your Lenten goals mean advocating for a meat-reduced WOW?

Anonymous said...

Keep up the great work, and I always pray for you! Your is the good spirit of Lent.

Anonymous said...

How did you get so darned wise?You sure do have the right spirit of Lent, and just think - it is almost over. Keep up that Good work!