As if the title didn't say it all. I had the amazing privileged of seeing not one but two demo derbies this year. It had been a few years since I had seen one and I was super excited to go. (One might note that driving in Texas is in fact one big demolition derby.)
The first derby was the Brown County Fair. It was a Tuesday in July. The 28th day of July to be specific. It was a hot one also. The kind of day where all you want to do after work is sip some lemonade in the AC and enjoy a comedy on TV. Not me...not me! I dawned my best pair of overalls and tightest old cut off work shirt I could find, drank a beer and set off to the fair in search of the most manliest sport ever.
I didn't have to walk far to find that sweet smell of leaking fluids and funnel cakes, after all I live in Nashville and the county fair grounds are only 2 blocks away. Once I got in the gate I headed right past the midway. No fairus wheel or tea cups for me this day. There are 364 other days in which I can win a giant stuffed bear to give to my Bianca. Today is demo day.
The line for tickets was backed up as long as the line for free pretzel day at the office. I was Stanly and I would have my treat. I was waiting for Kevin and Addison to join me also. This would be the day his father and I taught Addison what manhood was all about. They got there just in time for me to buy them tickets so they didn't have to wait in line and we where in.
It was glorious. There was a high fence to protect the fans from flying car parts, large cement barricades that stood futilely by lining the pit, an announcer box complete with an old crackly sound system and a dream on the face of each one of those noble racers as they pounded the crap out their cars in the pits to get them ready.
Not long after I got my seat a beautiful 1950's instrumental version on vinyl of our nations anthem rang out. I took a quick trip for chili cheese fries and tea and the action was soon under way.
We watched as heat after heat the best of the best from Brown county and the surrounding area shocked, amazed and stupefied us. We all bet a dollar on each race and cheered on our racers as if we ourselves were in the car. I can't describe what it means to be at a demolition derby itself. Words are to confining. All I can say it that at the end of the night I was $12 richer, my buddy Pat has a possible date with a driver from the Powder Puff heat, my tea glass was full of mud and I was ready to walk home with the joy of a well raced derby.
If you are looking for more on the Demolition Derby then check out this video... wow it is great!!
Keep up the fight
1 comment:
I love me some demo derby... (Jessica? Really? Since when was THAT my name?)
Post a Comment