Friday, October 30, 2009

History's Mysteries

So I meant to post this yesterday and forgot. Yesterday, October 29, was the anniversary of Black Friday. Black Friday being of course the famous day that the stock market crashed. What was also interesting was that yesterday the GDP number was released and it was 3.5%. So on the anniversary of one of the worst days in finical history we get some of the best news about our current economic crisis.

Now I am going to share an opinion about the economy that will make a lot of people mad. Unemployment is at about 10%. A lot of Americans have lost there jobs and I do not wish any ill will or hardships on those individuals at all. I pray for them and hope they can find a job soon to provide for their families.

But I stop and ask myself is this a bad thing? Is it bad that Hummers can no longer be produced? Is it a bad thing that instead of having 3 coffee shops on a block we only have 2? Is it terrible that we can no longer support a restaurant that serves $80 steaks? I am not sure that having a few less law firms (as long as Pat and Joe have a job) is a bad thing. Now I know it is sad when the small local shop owner who sells a local product goes out of business, but I don't feel all that bad when mega cooperation don't make millions for a quarter.

Is an economy where credit is so cheap that as a nation we charge more then we make and carry a greater debt then we can pay off in most of our life times really an economy that we want to grow? Yes, we need credit, but what is wrong with having to save a year first before we can use that credit? Maybe I am a bit old fashion.

The bottom line is when I hear that unemployment is at 10% what comes to my mind is that maybe this means 10% less waste in our landfills. 10% increase in health because McDonald's is no longer an option. 10% decrease in gas consumption because driving across the state no longer makes since. 10% increase in humanity because people start to leaning on one another again.

Keep up the fight

6 comments:

Nick said...

I agree with Captain Red Beard. Although it is unfortunate for so many people to be unemployed or under employed, I think our economic situation will cause needed growth in different parts of our economy. Hopefully we will see an influx of in entrepreneurs in a green/sustainable industry. Ideally we would see more local food production, an increase in the solar power industry, and people spending more time doing things for themselves.

Maggie Moore said...

Ditto to both of you. See me for corrections on grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

Nick said...

See me for the names of people who ostentatiously hint at their linguistic skills.

MOM said...

Give it up Maggie! As a professional education, his English skills are on my list of failures. Ya gotta love him! MOM

MOM said...

Whoops--look at me! I meant as a professional educator!!!

Anonymous said...

There are MANY times when being "A bit Old fashioned" is a definite vertue! Hang in there.