This past weekend I went out and sat / walked around the woods of St. Mienrads Indiana. I have a buddy who goes to school there and we had a lot of fun walking the draws, posting the fields, and driving around the back hills. One might call this activity hunting, but I think hunting implies killing, and as of yet I have not killed an animal so I am going to call it what it is: sitting in the woods.
As I was sitting in the woods I asked myself why I continue to do this year after year with no luck. I came to the conclusion that to be honest killing a deer is really not that important to me. I would like to do it, but I don't think it is the main reason I go out season after season. I think I go because of how amazing it is to sit out in nature for 2 days. The world is so alive in the late fall and so many people just see it as a world that is dieing for the winter. To see all the birds, tree beavers, colours of the trees, and so many other simple things that are out there make you feel like you are in your own special art gallery.
How often to we slow down in our busy life and take 2 days to be with our own thoughts and prayers. Do you know how many Hail Mary's you can get in on one day of hunting? I could wear out a rosary in one morning out there. To have the opportunity to reflect on what is in your life and have time where no one is going to bother you is such a blessing.
So yes I am a wood sitter in er. And I am proud of that fact. Maybe one day I will become a hunter, but for the time being I am at peace with my place in the trees.
Keep up the fight.
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment