Friday, December 5, 2008

Water and Heat

I am going to be on my Eco soap box for much of this post so if you have heard enough of my rants (which most people have) you can skip this post and save yourself some time.

So I got my water and sewage bill a few days ago. It is the second one I got and it was $40.02. This was the same price as my first one, but I didn't think to much of my first one because I figured it was for 1.5 months. I thought this rate was a bit high so I decided to go into my local water utility and ask for clarification on my bill. I found out that there is a 2000 gallon minimum charge, and that sewer is based off a percentage of that usage. So if you only use, I don't know let's say, 600 gallons then you are still charged for 2000. "Well at least you get a break in sewage," you might say. No, no, no, my friend you are still charges sewage based on that 2000 minimum.

Now I don't really care all that much about the cost. I can't make water by myself and I am happy for the service. It is worth $40.02 for me turn on my faucet or flush the toilet and have it just work. So, why is he complaining? Well I am complaining that as a conservationist, I don't get any reward for trying to save the world. (Yes, I realize that is being a bit dramatic.) It is a bit frustrating when you try to care about the environment and you are treated the same way the person who lets their hot water run over the over spill in their bathtub to make the room more like a sauna.

So is there also a maximum amount you could be charged for water usage? Right you laughing just like me aren't you. Heck no, you will get charged for every drop of water you use, and apparently even the 1400 gallons of drops you don't use.

I also wanted to let you know that I finally broke down and turned on my heat last Monday. Yes, I did make it to December without heat, but you better believe that I shut all the vents and doors to the rooms I don't use, and put towels at the base of their doors. And yes, I do pay a $11.87 to have gas turned on even when I don't use it.

Keep up the fight, and Happy Advent

1 comment:

Tonia said...

We have not turned on our heat yet and I live in Iowa!